Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Second Century

Yesterday I rode my second century. This ride was the Viva Bike Vegas, and was 118 miles. The course was quite a bit longer than last week's Tour de St. George (at a mere 104 miles), but had less climbing. The weather was beautiful for riding--80 degrees and sunny with a slight breeze. 

It was fairly difficult for me to do this ride after having done the century last weekend; I felt the fatigue in my muscles from last Saturday almost as soon as I got on my bike yesterday. There were several points at which I wanted to quit, but I am glad that I didn't. Finishing was worth the work (even though the food was pretty much gone by the time I got to the finish line), and I made some great friends along the journey.  

It has become apparent that I may need to invest in some additional equipment if I continue to bike as I have for the last few weeks. This morning when I looked in the mirror I noticed that I had parallel lines going from the front to the back of my bald head. It looks like the sun's rays found their way through the lines in my helmet. I've never really been a 'bandana guy', but I guess I'll have to make a change in order to forgo my racing stripes. 

The most memorable commentary from this ride will certainly be Karen's response to an inquiry that my mom made of her. Jeannie asked Karen if I had lost weight, or if my waist had gotten any smaller, with all of this bicycling. Karen's response was, "It is so hard to tell when he is wearing spandex." Priceless. An instant classic to be sure. 

4 comments:

Bryce said...

Jeannie, I looked and looked for you at mile 90 but you weren't there.

sally said...

To Funny.

jeannie said...

I can't be there if you don't tell me you are riding!

Brett and Lisa said...

i loved karen's response! our wives know how to charm us, right? Or maybe we know how to charm them with spandex?!?! bryce, you're a trooper for doing two of those long rides! we miss you guys...just talked about it last night. we'll have to make a trip up there very soon.