Friday, October 24, 2008

When stripes are a good idea...

I've learned in quilting that you need to stop and think before you choose to use stripes.  You could be asking for extra pain.

See stripes are a directional fabric.  (i.e. Try cutting a bunch of squares with a vertical stripe pattern. Accidentally turn one of the squares 90 degrees so the stripes run horizontally.  Sew it together and oops!  One square is running a different direction than the others.  Time to unpick...) You just have to think harder when you quilt with stripes- that's all.  

However, I've recently discovered stripes can be very helpful.  


Stripes on sheets! Guess what?  I ALWAYS put on the fitted sheet right every time.  I know the stripes run from head to toe.  Saves me at least 30 seconds trying to figure out which side is shorter, etc.

1 comment:

nat said...

brilliant! i find it quite annoying to try and figure out how to put the fitted sheet on. well done karen.