
Maybe. (Case study #1)
Growing up, my mom always had a laundry and cleaning schedule. (Monday and Thursday she washed colors. Tuesdays were sheets & towells. Fridays were whites.) I thought every mother did this. I remember thinking if I wanted to wear my red Durrant Dragon Elemantary School t-shirt on Friday that I'd better get it in the hamper by Wednesday night as colors would be washed again Thursday.
Same goes for cleaning. We always knew Wednesday meant you had to "deep" clean. It meant you had additional tasks for your current cleaning assignment on the rotation schedule. For example, if I was assigned the tan bathroom for the week then every day I had to clean the sink, wipe the counters, and then clean the mirrors. (Your mom taught you to clean the mirrors last, right? If you clean them first, water might get splashed on them when you clean the sink. Brilliant!) On "deep clean" Wednesday, you had to additionally scrub the toilet, shower/bathtub, and clean the floors.
Now I find myself home full-time and falling into similar patterns. To me Monday means cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, washing sheets & towels & Jack's clothes. Wednesday means colored need to be washed. Tuesday afternoon is errands (or get out of the house for most the day).
As much as I may poke fun at my mom for still sticking to her routines I see why. I, too, am much happier and enjoy life more when I know when everything will get done. After a weekend full of activities and fun, I find myself looking forward to Mondays when I just stay at home and work.
Maybe not. (Case study #2)
My sweet tooth is not a secret. As a child I loved Halloween. I had a hierarchy of candy and would sort my Halloween goods accordingly. Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Kit Kat, M&M's, Milky Way all belonged to the highest tier. I loved that I had three little brothers who didn't know the candy hierarchy and would willingly trade a Snickers for some smarties.
Today on a quick trip to CVS for some infant tyelonol, I noticed the Halloween section was clearing out and Christmas supplies were being shelved. The big yellow tags by the candy caught by eye. Sale! I still needed to buy some Halloween candy for the ward trunk-or-treat and it was a super deal. Fun size bags 2 for $3.oo.
Then, another yellow tag caught my eye. 20 cute Pumpkin erasers in a bag - 2 for $3.00. I really thought, "Those would be fun to give out instead of candy. They would last longer. You could take them to school."
Then I caught myself.
"Pencils and erasers for Halloween? Stop. You sound like Mom. Pretend you are a kid."
I bought the candy.
(Yes, we were the house that gave out Halloween pencils.)
1 comment:
Oh, sweet memories!! I remember the rotating chore chart, and the tan bathroom!!! Your Mom was, and still is the queen of clean!!
Post a Comment