
Many of you know that one of our favorite elements of our new life in Las Vegas has been biking. I went so far as to buy a bike rack for the roof of my car that is probably worth more than my car at this stage (no kidding). Well, my history with roof racks is not a positive one, and I've just added to it today.
This evening Karen and I were going to ride the loop through Red Rock Canyon together. This was to be KW's first time riding the loop. We even got a baby-sitter for Jack.
With the bike rack on my car, and Jack's car seat in Karen's car, we decided to take two cars to the babysitter's house (which is just a few minutes away from us), leave her car there, and take my car up to the canyon. I followed Karen to the babysitter's house and turned into a parking space. Unfortunately, I pulled into a parking space with a sun shade over it. As it turns out, the bikes on top of the car don't actually fit under sun shade. Ouch!
Karen's bike, sadly, took all of the impact. When I pulled the bike off the car, I saw that many of the parts were pushed out of their rightful positions (the front wheel was no longer straight and the brake lever was crooked, etc.). Nothing seemed to be broken or bent, just out-of-place. In place of riding the loop together, I took the bike to the shop to had them check the bike, and Karen went and told the babysitter that we wouldn't be needing her services this evening. Thankfully, nothing was broken or bent on the bike or the rack (and--believe me--no one cares about the car). Karen's brake handle, however, does now have a nice scrape and some beautiful brown paint on it that it didn't have before today. Sorry Karen; I owe you one.
The funny thing about this whole situation is that I know that I am prone to such mishaps (having, in my roof-rack career to date, already lost several pairs of skis to the freeway after forgetting to latch the rack, and having been 50% responsible for driving a car into a parking garage with my bike on top of it). In fact, I am so aware of my tendencies this way that when I put the bikes on the roof I check them so many times that I've wondered if I have OCD or am a mini Rain Man or something. Honestly, I check the bikes to death when I put them up there. Come to find out though, these checks don't actually help you if you drive your car+bikes under low-hanging objects!
I guess the grand lesson in all this is that my life is just one big lesson. If the tables had been turned and Karen had done something like this and damaged my bike, I don't think that I would have been as calm, patient, and forgiving with her as she was with me. I continue to learn from her in many ways. Life is good when you marry way, WAY up like I did. On the other hand, I certainly do feel badly for her for getting the short (bald, and some might even say a little heavy) end of the stick with me!
5 comments:
brycey brycey brycey, what are we going to do with you? i will say that i agree that karen would handle a situation like that better than you might.
I'm glad you recognize what a GEM, Ms. Wisan is. I'd say you are both pretty lucky!!
Karen
Crosstitch in large block letters Bryce's very astute comment about his life...
"MY LIFE IS JUST ONE BIG LESSON"
On second thought, you had better make several...one for the house, one for his favorite car, one for work, one for when he over indulges his appitite. On third thought Karen, maybe you had better just make lots of copies. Bryce seems to have an overabundance of life experiences.
Remember mommy still loves you Bice.
Bryce I guess I can add to the bike rack incidents with YOUR car. While you were on your mission and I was driving your car, I had the idea to borrow Wade's bike. For some reason I put the bike on the top of the car, which is very surprising since I never rode it. I knew immediately that I had made a mistake when I heard the crushing of Wade's bike (sorry about that) and saw the dents in the roof of your car (sorry about that). Don't you wish you were still driving that Accord? :-)
You know, Shane (your buddy from Renaissance Bicycles) told me stories of bike accidents while he was explaining various warranties. He mentioned that one of the most common causes of bike damage that he sees occurs when people aren't even riding their bikes....Yup, your story was pretty much identical to the one he told me. I'll be sure to let him know that you fell into this category as well. Funny story.
Post a Comment