Sunday, December 7, 2008

New Awlins

Karen and I spent the better part of this week in New Orleans. I went for a conference held by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (the conference materials were scintillating, I assure you) on the construction industry. Karen came to enjoy a few days of the good life while her parents, graciously, watched Jack.  

Karen has spent a fair amount of time in New Orleans, but I was visiting for the first time. Karen, who was returning to the city for the first time since Katrina, was continually struck by how different the city was this time around. We found several shops and restaurants that she had known from previous visits that were now closed. All this, mind you, was in the French Quarter, which has probably received more attention than most areas of the city given the city's reliance on tourist dollars. 

One of our favorite gluttonous indulgences of the trip turned out to be eating beignets at Cafe du Monde. I won't tell you how many times we went there. 


Yours truly on the banks of the Mississippi River. 

Here is my cute navigator wife looking at the map as we rode the street car along St. Charles through the Garden District. 


We spent December 6th at the National World War II Museum, which we really enjoyed. Even though December 6th isn't quite December 7th, it was still close enough for the museum to host several activities in conjunction with the remembrance of the attack on Pearl Harbor. We loved our time at the museum. Pictured below is a C-47. 

We had a terrific time together. Karen, in particular, was rejuvenated by the trip. We learned early in our marriage that we very much enjoy traveling and exploring together. 

By far the best part of the trip, however, took place in Las Vegas when we returned home. When I saw Jack again for the first time in several days he smiled (which, to be honest, isn't actually that special because he smiles about 95% of the time), put his arms around me, laid his head on my shoulder, and cuddled with me for a few minutes. I really missed my little buddy, and I think he missed his daddy. 

3 comments:

jeannie said...

Karen
You must have been using a new lense on your camera. Even though Bice seems to be enjoying who knows how many beignets, he seems to be looking a little thinner.

Glad you had fun

Jenn said...

I don't think I will let Dale read this post....he will be salivating, over both the beignets & the fact that you took a trip to the Big Easy.

nat said...

i agree with mom. you do look skinnier than when i last saw you. even jared noticed. way to go brycey!