Friday, September 19, 2008

Red Rock Canyon - Biking & Hiking

We live just minutes away from Red Rock National Conservation Area.  

For road bikers, it's Mecca as they can ride a challenging yet scenic 13-mile loop through the area. The first half of the ride is most challenging as it climbs to a peak.  If you ride to the canyon from your home, you can make it a 30-mile round trip ride. Bryce loves to try and do this ride after work.  It's a great workout for him.  I'll have to make a special post when he can actually do the ride without stopping half way up the climb to pant.  (His words, not mine). 

Red Rock also has a lot of trails for hiking.  Last Saturday we attempted to hike Ice Box Canyon.  We didn't make it all the way but had fun trying.  We learned we need to leave earlier in the morning.  8:30 wasn't early enough and by 10:00 the heat hit.  Jack even enjoyed his nap in the backpack. 


6 comments:

Margo said...

But Ice Box caynon sounds somewhat chilly? although I don't know how that would go down in Vegas. I will be looking forward to the no-panting post from Bryce. The biking sounds awesome, very jeaous.

Brett and Lisa said...

I didn't know you uguys have a BLOG! I haven't seen pictures of little jack at all since we left - 9 months ago! It will be fun to catch up!

Brett and Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brett and Lisa said...

I am all caught up... I read all of your posts! Wow... lots of sugeries! I like the car and Jack is SO cute! I can see some of Karen in him when he smiles! We miss you guys and would love to see you sometime! We will make it happen - we ar eonly 3 hours apart!

Lynda said...

wish we could hike there together!

Liz Green said...

Looks like a fun area to hike. I love the nifty back pack Bryce uses to carry Jack. Congrats on your new calling!